Malnutrition and Dementia:
Best Practices in Care of the Older Adult Population
Attendees seeking Iowa
Board of Nursing CE for participating in Malnutrition and Dementia: Best
Practices in Care of the Older Adult Population will claim their
certificates via the University of Iowa College of Medicine’s CME Portal. Certificates
will not be mailed. Please follow the steps below to sign in, complete
an evaluation, attest to your hours of participation, and print your
Please reach out if you have difficulties or questions and thank you for participating in this educational event!
- Go to the CME Portal here (For the best user experience, please use Google Chrome)
- Please sign in with your email and password. If you’ve never accessed the system, follow instructions to create an account. Make sure you select nurse as your profession to ensure you receive the correct certificate.
- If you are not directed to the evaluation immediately after, please click on the link above again.
- Fill out the attestation and evaluation and select submit.
- You will then be directed to complete your personal profile. Make sure you input your state nursing license number for record keeping.
- Once finished, you will then be directed to the home page where you will select the My CE tab at the top of the page and download your certificate under Evaluations and Certificates.
To educate both direct caregivers and
staff in local nursing homes/assisted living to identify malnutrition
and implement strategies to prevent
malnutrition in residents with Alzheimer’s disease and related
- List factors for weight loss in older adults, including normal age-related changes and other factors that may influence weight loss.
- Identify common causes of dementia-related weight loss
- Recognize common signs and symptoms of malnutrition
- Recognize signs and symptoms of dementia that interfere with nutritional intake
- Describe interventions that help reduce malnutrition in persons living with dementia
Contact hours: The University of Iowa College of Nursing is Iowa Board of Nursing Provider #1. With full time participation, 1.0 contact hours will be awarded.